Some things I’ve learned about music:
1. Nothing fills my empty spaces better than really loud rock and roll.
2. You know that thing about eating chilies on a hot day to cool you off? The same goes for sad music and depression. The blues beats down the blues every time.
3. Music surprises me more than most people do.
4. I like AC/DC and Puccini – but not together.
5. The enormous amount of amazing musical talent in the world has convinced me that I have none.
6. I play the guitar (badly) despite the above.
7. Music is better than therapy or booze – costs less and there’s no hangover.
8. Dancing is absolutely necessary.
9. A live band beats an iPod.
10. Without music, I’d have to listen to myself think all the time – and thank heavens I don’t.
Photo Notes: Above is Ben Kline, playing trombone the other night at the Presidio Yacht Club with Cheap Therapy, a Marin-Sonoma rock band. Below are a few more shots from the show, made at with Nikon D3s, ISO 12,800 and 50mm 1.4.